21 April 2011

We Live in Amazing Times!

I read this bit on the Gawker network today about iPhones secretly recording their movements based on tower triangulation!  If this isn't straight out of Orwell then I'm Shaquille O'Neal's dirty shorts.  One contributor to the article speculated conspiracy.  But what caught me off guard the most was the first comment on the piece:  "Meh."  The user went on to explain that he haas no interest in whether his movements are tracked.  He argued that in the future such technology will be so commonplace that it'll seem weird that we were ever afraid of it.

. . .and I don't think he's wrong.  I've read that at the advent of the television, the idea of "voices and pictures coming out of a box" was madness.  Sixty-some years later, those magic voice and pictures boxes are the grandfather to a new way of life that is only now starting to open its eyes.  Social relationships abandon old forms!  Consumers never have to leave the home! The president speaks from the palm of your hand!  This is the way of the modern world!

I saw this video a while back on the same site.  Corning, Inc. is a specialty glass manufacturer that may or may not be Apple's glass supplier.  The following video is the future according to Corning.  I predict that by 2025 these technologies will be available at least in designer homes:

No comments:

Post a Comment